18 and No Adult

Some presents, some cards and a few text messages later it was official; I was 18.

The day I turned 18 I spilt my tea and wore my t-shirt to sixth form inside out. I wish I could boast that it was a fashion statement informed by my new found maturity but honestly, I was just in a rush. In the exact same rush, I had been at 17. As I strutted along mere hours into 'adulthood' I realised that it didn't change a thing.

On my birthday people asked me what it felt like to be an adult and I really have no idea. A few days later and I'm no closer to finding out.


Firstly being 18 does not make me an adult. Who decided that 18 meant adult anyway? You're probably all nodding along at this point as I'm just some girl writing on her blog. Not a taxes-paying-got-my-shit-together-cares-about-the-weather sort of adult. Maybe I never will be.

Really it isn't that big a deal. I have been paying adult prices on the bus, train and plane since I was 15 and the cinema teen tickets don't fool anyone. I resent the fact I'm ageing and always thought I'd avoid it altogether, but at least I can now legally drink away the pain. (joke mum) I don't mean to be pessimistic about growing up. It's just that I just realised that nothing monumental changed. I am still the person who broke her phone screen at work, messages the thumbs up Facebook emoji by accident and who is always just a little bit late.

At least now I'm an adult it can be 'fashionably' late and not just foolish.

Comments

  1. Brilliantly said superbly written

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this! Haha I am definitely no adult at almost 21 with a baby son xD I guess I am somewhere in the middle, still learning and evolving and making mistakes, there have been a lot along the way haha! Oh well, love your writing style! :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments! I'll find you on Instagram.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts