Waitrose Woes

A man in Waitrose nearly made me cry today. Nearly.

So there I was, 18 year old Sophie ready to use her Waitrose card for the first time to get a free coffee and buy some milk. Exciting stuff I know. This was genuinely thrilling as I don't go in Waitrose often. Whether we like to admit it there is a supermarket hierarchy enforced by supermarket snobs who think that because you paid more for butter you're better. When really it just means that we like different butter. But against all odds, I ventured in and my trip was ruined by a man. Not 'the man' who I've been known to complain about, this was one particular man.

I have to explain, at the time I wasn't wearing my glasses. This means that from a distance I don't recognise the faces of friends, let alone my surroundings in a supermarket. As I walked towards the till and put down my milk I heard a tut and turned to see a man throwing his hands up in frustration, beginning to lament. I say lament, I mean shout.
You could've used the self-service.
There's a free till over there.
This was my till.
You've pushed in front of me you stupid girl.

The transaction would've been over far quicker if he'd have shut up and let me buy my milk as the getaway was slowed by my shaking legs. I had one item, he had a trolley full, most people would've let me go in front as a courtesy. Though after his rude outburst, I turned and apologised saying that I didn't realise that he was walking towards the same till and I didn't see him. But this was met by a huff and repetition of his earlier statements. I couldn't help but think that he must have a daughter, a granddaughter or the remnants of a soul which would make him feel bad for shouting at me. I wish I had not left the shop shocked and upset after apologising again.


From my trip to Waitrose I learnt that there are horrid people in the world and that recently they seem drawn to me. But the moral of the story is that you can leave them behind and become a better person yourself to spite them.

So to the horrible man who shouted at me in Waitrose and all the others I will say this; I hope your life is average. I hope that everything is fine but never great so that your lives are dull and mundane. I hope that your favourite jumper begins to unravel, your glasses fall down your nose and you sip your tea just too early and burn your tongue. With all my heart I wish that whoever you end up marrying (the poor sod) never quite gets your jokes and halfheartedly laughs too late. I hope you are just a little uncomfortable, unremarkable and uninteresting for the rest of your life.

A life I hope you spend far away from me.



(Just a disclaimer I know that worse things happen, I do read the news, but this just sucked.)

Comments

  1. Well done for keeping your calm in the face of rudeness. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts